Note: This page is still under construction. We apologize for any inconvenience.
|Fall 1960||Needs analysis, feasibility study, and budget request
completed for the acquisition of a computer to support programming
classes on the campus.
Herb Langdon viewed computer science as a curriculum opportunity for the Division of Applied Science (Agriculture, Engineering, and Industrial Arts). He asked Bill Lane, who had just been appointed to the Electrical Engineering faculty, to select a computer system, develop the necessary data to support a budget request (around $32,000), and plan the courses. Herb also asked Bill to attend a 2-day computer conference in Portland, Oregon which Herb assumed could used as a starting point for the study. $50 was available to "cover" registration fees and travel expenses.
The IBM 1620 was ultimately selected from a group of machines that also included the PB 250, the LGP 30, the Bendix G-15, and the Recomp 2.
The actual budget request was for about $33,000. A grant request for matching monies to expand the system was prepared for NSF.
|Spring 1961||First programming class offered under EE 198.
Ev Riggle (Mathematics) and Bill Lane offered a 3-unit by-invitation programming class for the IBM 1620 to get people introduced to the system that we assumed would be installed during the Fall 1961 (monies had now been included in the governor's budget). 25 people (13 students plus 12 faculty and staff) were introduced to machine, assembly, and FORTRAN language programming. Ev and Bill hand checked each program.
|1961/62||Programming classes taught each semester.
Programs continued to be hand checked, now by Bill Lane and Ken Secor, who had just returned to the campus in Civil Engineering.
The Chancellor's office delayed our procurement request to let them get organized and study computer needs in the system. They ultimately approved, but for lease rather than purchase. The NSF funding request was changed, submitted, and denied (NSF wouldn't provide funding for leased systems).
|Fall 1962||IBM 1620 installed, 24 hour per day access established, and programming classes redesignated as CSCI.
The 1620 arrived in mid-October and was installed in an old house on the north side of the creek near the current bridge to Plumas Hall. Some faculty dubbed the system "Lane's Folly" and predicted that it wouldn't be used. 50 keys were acquired to be checked out for after-hours access, and usage levels exceeded 75 hours per week by early November.
The 1620 was a variable field-length, decimal machine that processed data serially by digit. Memory was 12 bits wide two 6-bit characters) and was character-addressible. Access time was 40 microseconds.
Arithmetic operations were done by table look-up.
Instructions were 12 characters each in a 2-operand format (e.g. ADD A, 8 which was interpreted as add A to 8 and store the result in A).
Operands could be direct, indirect, or immediate. The processing rate was typically between 2500 and 4000 instructions per second.
Our initial configuration included the computer with 20,000 characters of storage, a paper tape reader(250 cps) and tape punch (17 cps), and a console typewriter. Source programs were entered at the console keyboard and punched in paper tape.
There was no operating system. After the source tape had been punched, the memory was erased (zeroed) and the compiler or assembler tape was loaded. The source tape was then read 2 times, once for each compiler pass, and a object tape (with the necessary subroutines, loaders, etc.) was punched. Memory was again erased and then object tape was loaded. Data entry was either from the console keyboard or from a pre-punched paper tape. Output was typed on the console typewriter.
|Fall 1963||Card reader/punch (240
cpm read, 120 cpm punch) replaced paper-tape I/O and an 80-c(flumn tab
machine (40 Ipm) is installed for off-line printing.
The paper-tape configuration had proven that students and faculty would indeed use the computer. The punched card up-grade allowed us to expand class offerings, and to begin planning a Computer Science curriculum. Three keypunches allowed off-line program and data preparation.
Monies for the up-grade were obtained by merging the budget and operations of the academic computer center (the 1620 operation) with the tab machine operation from the registrar's office to become the campus computer center (a service organization within the Division of Applied Sciences under Bill's part-time direction).
Access continued to be on a 24-hour per day basis with administrative operations scheduled for week-day mornings.
|Fall 1964||Computer Science approved as a 128-unit option under the BS in Applied Science.
The option required the general engineering lower-division core supplemented with programming courses, plus new courses in computer structures, compiler theory, etc.
tab-printer replaced with an on-line line-printer (120 column, 120
lpm). Magnetic disk unit (2 MB) added for on-line library storage.
This up-grade removed the necessity for loading compiler decks with each source program and for punching object decks which had to be reloaded through the card reader. An low-level monitor system allowed source programs to be loaded in a compile and run mode. Compilers were called from the disk which also was used for temporary storage of source programs during compilation, and object programs during run.
Program listings and program output were printed on the line printer.
The computer center and all engineering faculty were moved to the newly-completed Langdon Hall.
|1966/67||A Calcomp 565 (a.k.a. IBM 1627) plotter was added to the 1620.
The first graphics courses were offered in the Spring 1967.
|1967/68||B.S. degree in Computer Science approved.
The BS degree was approved with three options: Math Science, Systems, and General. The first Computer Science faculty were hired:
The computer center was administratively transferred to Vice President for Administration and a full-time director was appointed. The IBM 1620 was replaced with a CDC 3150.
degree in Computer Science approved. Computer Science formalized as a
separate academic unit within the Division of Special Academic Programs.
The campus underwent a major reorganization and the committee could not reach consensus on where to put several small programs (Computer Science, Recreation, Health Sciences, Home Economics, Mass Communications, and Social Welfare). The Division of Special Programs was created to provide a place for these programs either to prove themselves or to be phased out. Everyone was moved to the temporary B-Building on first street, and we all shared one secretary position.
Bill Lane was appointed Coordinator of Computer Science and acting Chair of the Division during the search for a permanent chair. Computer Science had several other part-time faculty, but these were people also working on their MS degrees.
Three students received their MS degrees in the spring 1969.
|1969/70||Computer Science rejects request to initiate statistics curriculum.
A new chair was recruited for the Division of Special Academic Programs and he immediately began looking for ways to increase the FTE. He asked Computer Science to develop a degree program in statistics. It was unanimously voted down by the faculty. We recommended that Statistics be implemented by Mathematics.
Computer Science FTE had increased on its own and the program was assigned a full-time secretary position.
|1970/71||Computer Science program office moved to the basement of an old house on Third Street.|
|1971/72||Computer Science granted departmental status.
The Division of Special Academic Programs and the Division of Agriculture, Engineering, and Industrial Technology were reorganized into the School of Professional Studies and the School of Agriculture and Home Economics. All program units within Special Academic Programs were given departmental status.
The School of Professional Studies now contained the Departments of Computer Science, Industrial Technology, Recreation, Health Studies, Social Welfare, and Mass Communications, plus the Division of Engineering.
Bill Lane was appointed Chair of Department of Computer Science. He was also asked to resume the directorship of the computer center as an auxiliary part-time assignment. The first group of faculty with Computer Science as a department were:
|1972/73||First laboratory minicomputer installed. UPE chapter established.
The department was moved to Butte Hall and was assigned its own classroom and lab facilities. An HP 2100 with writeable control store was installed as the laboratory computer. A matching money grant from HP constituted the first industrial support for the department.
Orlando Madrigal was instrumental in establishing the first California chapter of the Computer Science honorary society on the campus.
Upsilon Pi Epsilon chartered its Alpha Chapter of California at Chico State in the Spring 1973.
|1973/74||Off-campus TV classes initiated via a microwave link.
A microwave link was established and TV classes were initiated as part of a cooperative program to share graduate courses in Computer Science between Chico and UC Davis.
A second minicomputer (Varian) was acquired for the laboratory. The first funded software development project was started.
|1974/75||Off-campus TV classes expanded to cover the north-state.
Additional microwave and ITFS links allowed the expansion of the offcampus TV courses to other population areas in the north-state (Marysville, Redding, Susanville, Weed, etc.) Scheduling difficulties (different start dates, quarter versus semester systems, etc.) and a general lack of interest by the UCD faculty brought an end to course sharing between Chico and UCD.
Bill Lane was appointed acting Associate Dean of the School of Professional Studies and was given the charter to develop a plan that would reorganize Computer Science, Engineering, and Industrial Technology into a new School of Applied Science. Larry Wear was appointed acting Chair of Computer Science. Bill retained directorship of the computer center.
|1975/76||Computer Science Commercial Applications option approved.
The Commercial Applications option was finally approved after considerable effort, and over the objections of the School of Business (who felt that anything implying business or management, etc. was their territory). This turned out to be a very popular curriculum, and remained so until the Business developed its Management Information Systems (MIS) option.
The School of Applied Science was formalized and Bill Lane was appointed Dean of the School. Orlando Madrigal was elected Chair of the Department of Computer Science.
A two-year remodeling project began in Siskiyou Hall to create new quarters for Computer Science.
|1977/78||First laboratory time-share computer installed. First microcomputer purchased.
Computer Science's move to Siskiyou Hall was completed, providing integrated quarters for faculty that had been previously scattered across 7 floors in 3 buildings.
A new HP 3000, donated by the corporation, provided 16 time-share stations in the laboratory. With this system and its other minicomputers, the department essentially became self-sufficient with respect to computer equipment. Bill Lane resigned as Director of the computer Center and all organizational ties between this unit and Computer Science ceased to exist.
The first microcomputer was purchased from a Utah firm to allow the department to begin learning about the capabilities and limitations of chip computers.
degree program in Computer Science approved for NWC, China Lake. First
TV classes received at HP Roseville by microwave/ITFS link.
The MS degree program in Computer Science at China Lake was in response to a request from the Chancellor's office which was being pressured by the Navy because the LA-basin campuses had been unable to provide a program. The courses are taught on-site at China lake during three 16-hour sessions one weekend per month by Chico Computer Science faculty.
Bill Lane resigned from the Dean's position to return to the Computer Science full-time faculty. Gary Watters was appointed Dean of Applied Science, July 1980.
degree program in Computer Science established at NWC, China Lake.
Remote-site MS degree program initiated at HP Roseville.
The BS degree program at China Lake was established as a cooperative effort with Cerro Coso Community College providing the lower division courses, Chico State providing the upper division Computer Science courses, and Cal State Bakersfield providing the remaining upper division GE and elective courses. Chico was designated as the degree-granting institution.
The School of Applied Science is renamed the School of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology.
|1983/84||The Apple IIc Laboratory was acquired.
The remote-site satellite MS degree program was initiated. Broadcast TV satellite links are established for live course delivery to several HP sites.
|1985/86||Computer Engineering approved as a option under Computer Science.
The Computer Engineering option was established as the first step toward the development of separate BS degree program. Larry Wear was appointed Coordinator.
The TV satellite program was approved for other corporations (Bently, Texas Instruments).
|1986/87||Computer Science accredited after CSAB review.
The CSAB review resulted in 3-year BS degree accreditation for Math Science, Systems, and General options in the Fall 1987.
|1987/88||B.S. in Computer Engineering approved. Commercial Applications option renamed Computer Information Systems.
The BS degree in Computer Engineering was approved and the program was granted separate departmental status. Roy Crosbie was elected Chair. The Computer Engineering option in Computer Science was eliminated.
Commercial Applications was renamed as Computer Information Systems and a program review was initiated. The long-term goal was to transition this option into a separate degree program in CIS.
The School of Engineering, Computer Science and Technology was redesignated as the College of Engineering, Computer Science and Technology.
Two HP 850 Unix processors replaced the HP 3000 as Computer Science's primary laboratory system.
After being nominated by the students and faculty in Computer Science and Computer Engineering, Bill Lane was named both Chico State Advisor of the Year. He subsequently received the ACT/NACADA western states Outstanding Advisor Award for 1988.
|1988/89||Computer Engineering accredited after ABET review.
The Fall 1988 ABET review of Computer Engineering resulted in accreditation effective with the 1987/88 academic year. The next review was scheduled for Fall 1991.
|1989/90||Computer Science re-accredited for 6 years.
The CSAB review resulted in a maximum re-accreditation term of 6 years.
|1990/91||B.S. in Computer Information Systems approved.
The BS degree in Computer Information Systems was approved as an additional degree program for Computer Science. The CIS option was eliminated.
Construction was started on the O'Connell Technology Center to provide new classroom/laboratory facilities and faculty offices for Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
||Melody (Stapleton) Callan was appointed Chair.
||Anne Keuneke secures $131,940 Sun Microsystems Academic and Research Environment Project grant to equip OCNL 241 with Sun Ultra 1 workstations. OCNL 241 is called the Sun Lab.
|1997/98||John Zenor was elected Chair.
||Anne Keuneke was appointed Chair.
Renee Renner and Jim Pinkert secure HP grant to establish the WISE lab (Women in Science and Engineering) in OCNL 246. The Network for Women in Science and Technology (NeWT) is formed.
||Anne Keuneke was elected Chair.
||Orlando Madrigal was appointed Chair.
Ben Juliano and Renee Renner, in collaboration with Ramesh Varahamurti (Mechatronics Engineering program coordinator), secure a $346,188 Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) and Research in Undergraduate Institutions (RUI) from the National Science Foundation (NSF), the first such NSF grant awarded to the College. The main purpose of the grant is to facilitate research and instruction in the area of intelligent systems applied to search and rescue operations. Over the next few years, the grant is used to acquire robotics equipment and supplies, fund undergraduate and graduate research assistants, implement a course in Robotics and Machine Intelligence (CSCI 585), and support numerous outreach activities such as the Summer Robotics Camp for Junior High Girls.
The Intelligent Systems Lab (ISL) is established and housed in OCNL 244A (formerly used as a closet) and the Institute for Research in Intelligent Systems (IRIS) is formed.
B.S. in Computer Science re-accredited by ABET for 6 years. Our Fall 2003 ABET review resulted in another maximum re-accreditation term of 6 years.
ISL sponsors the first Summer Robotics Camp for Junior High Girls. The camp is featured in the local news and in the Chico Enterprise Record.
||ISL sponsors the second Summer Robotics Camp for Junior High Girls.|
||Ralph Hilzer was appointed Chair.
ISL sponsors the third Summer Robotics Camp for Junior High Girls.
OCNL 244 converted to a thin clients lab.
||Moaty Fayek was elected Chair.|
||Department celebrates its 40th Anniversary in April 2009!
||ABET Evaluators visit the Department and review our undergraduate programs in Fall 2009.
|2010/11||Moaty Fayek was elected Chair.|